OK so last time I'd sewn most of my top piece for SECOND my quilt (get me using quilt lingo!!) using Neptune fabric from the wonderful designer Tula Pink. I added an applique skull as per my Son's request! Simply I ironed some Bondaweb onto the light blue fabric then drew on the skull design and cut it out. The Bondaweb stops the fabric from fraying. I then used a zig-zag stitch on my sewing machine to sew the skull to the quilt top:
I completed my back piece of the quilt - I wanted to add a patterned section into the large piece of fabric I was using. Next I had to lay out the back piece (face down) lay the wadding on top and then lay the top piece on top of that (face up).
I decided to lay out the quilt pieces on my bed this time rather than the floor- simply to save my poor old knees from all that scrabbling around! I pinned all the pieces to the mattress which seemed to work quite well!
Then I used LONG tacking stitches and a nice bright coloured thread to tack the three layers together.
Then I started quilting, this time using my sewing machine! I'd not been able to do this with my first quilt and did it all by hand. This time I'd had my vintage Singer serviced and it was working like a dream!
This allowed my to add 'patterns' to my quilting- I mean only in the simplest sense- I'm not at the birds and vines stage yet!!
After the quilting I trimmed the edges of the quilt and attached the binding strip:
And I was finished!
Here is my son with his quilt- the back:
and the front:
I'm already planning quilt Nos 3 & 4!!